Tuesday, March 12, 2013

A Quickie Makeover

I bought this dresser at a thrift shop last summer, along with some other beat up dollhouse furniture, with the thought of giving them new life.  Like everyone else out there, I feel like I never have enough time for all the things I want to do, but this weekend I stole a little time for myself and accomplished a few things on my list.

I've been hanging out in furniture stores lately, searching for a real life sofa, and I'm seeing sections devoted to salvaged wood pieces.  This stuff ain't cheap either!  But in the mini world, all things are possible, mostly. 

I've been collecting "salvaged wood" paper for a while now because it really appeals to me and I thought I'd use it for walls or floors, but after seeing the real deal in stores, I decided to try it out on furniture.  


For this little project I'll be using turquoise, white and green "wood".


First, I dry brushed the edges, nooks and crannies (did I spell that right? What's a cranny anyway?) with white craft paint and a stiff brush.  I was too lazy to do any sanding.


Then I measured very carefully, ("Artisan" at work, HAH!), cut the paper and glued them on with Mod Podge and a sponge applicator.


HELLO!  A mini "salvaged wood" dresser, for real!  I might add some blingy beads for door knobs or maybe not.  I really like the way it turned out, it looks so sweet.  I'll be using this little piece in my next scene.  Workin' on it now!

Until then, Beany.

16 comments:

  1. That's really clever. O_O

    I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a brilliant idea, I love to transform minis and had never thought of using paper

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really a great idea!!! Well done, I love the result! This kind of furniture is also to be seen in the shops over here.
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  4. It doesn't even look like the same piece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many thanks to everyone for your kind comments! It was really a quick and easy (and oh yeah, CHEAP) little project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice work. I vote yes on the hardware additions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks and the hardware has been purchased!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really a great project! You are so creative. I am always inspired when I read your blog. Thanks for sharing because I am going to try this fun project.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you sweet Felma! Hope all is well with you! I hope you share your makeover project with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Neat! I love the recycled look!CM

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks CM! I love it too. I'm trying to figure out where I can squeeze a real piece of this recycled furniture into my house!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi there
    where did you get those papers? are they online?
    Thanks
    Neomi( Israel)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Neomi,
    Thank you! I bought the paper at a store called Hobby Lobby and it seems to be their own brand. They have an online store, but I couldn't find the paper online. I saw some similar paper at
    http://www.scrapbook.com/. In the search box, type in these words separately, "weathered", "whitewash" and "distressed", and you'll find similar papers. They sell by the sheet for .99, and they're double-sided. Two for one!

    ReplyDelete